Most Sundays, the synod bishop visits one of the congregations in the synod.
Making a Request for a Visit by the Bishop
Bishop Graham’s visits are first and foremost pastoral visits.
- It is appropriate for the bishop to preach and/or preside at the Eucharist when invited to be with a congregation on a Sunday morning.
- Information on the congregation’s programs and congregational life should be provided ahead of time by the pastor and/or Church Council so that the bishop may fully enjoy and participate in the Sunday worship life of the congregation.
- Opportunities for informal conversation with members of the congregation during the visit are welcomed by the bishop.
To formally request a visit by the bishop
- Via email to: aaclandmetrodcelca.org ; or
- Via post to: The Rev. Richard H. Graham, Bishop / Metropolitan Washington, D.C. Synod, ELCA / 305 E Street, NW, Suite 300 / Washington, DC 20001-2711
- Include the following information (summarized on this downloadable pdf page):
- FUNCTION – Will you want the bishop to ☐ preside? ☐ preach a Children’s Sermon? ☐ lead a Q&A after the worship service?
- SCHEDULE – What are the time(s) of ☐ your worship service(s)? ☐ any special events planned for the day?
- ORDER OF WORSHIP – At least one week ahead of time, please submit your proposed Order of Worship, including readings for the day, so that the bishop may properly prepare.
- VESTMENTS – The bishop expects to wear alb and stole during the service. If you wish that he wear the cope and mitre, please make this request along with your request for a visit.
- LOGISTICS – Please reserve a parking space near the entrance to the church for the bishop.