The Metropolitan Washington, D.C. Synod participates in the Companion Synod Program of the ELCA.
Companion Synod bonds are established with:
- El Salvador
- Salvadoran Lutheran Synod (SLS)
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in Namibia (ELCIN)
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in the Republic of Namibia (ELCRN)
- German Evangelical Lutheran Church – ELCIN (GELC-ELCIN)
- Slovak Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession (ECACS)
The Companion Synod relationship exists for the purpose of strengthening one another for life and mission within the body of Christ. Through mutual prayer, study and the exchange of pastors, leaders, visitors and resources, we open our eyes to the global challenge that Christ offers us today.