The 2012 Metro D.C. Synod Assembly met on April 27 & 28 at The National Conference Center in Leesburg, Virg. The Assembly’s theme: “Re-Presenting the Faith.”
WHAT HAPPENED AT THE SYNOD ASSEMBLY?
- Peruse the photo album below.
- Read Bishop Graham’s sermon(pdf file), shared during the Festive Eucharist on our first day together.
- Listen to the Rev. Chris Nelson’s insightful addresses. The three-part keynote is found on the “Listen In” page.
- Get the big picture through the eyes of the bishop of the ELCA Montana Synod when the Rev. Jessica Crist addressed us as the ELCA Churchwide Representative. Her comments can be heard on the “Listen In” page.
- View the Rev. Amy Thompson Sevimli’s report, delivered via video, on the “Look In” page.
- Show the video prepared by the ELCA’s churchwide expression, “Living, Daring Confidence,” in your congregation. The video opens with a quote from Martin Luther: “Faith is a living, daring confidence in God’s grace, so sure and certain that you could stake your life on it a thousand times.”
- Review blog posts “From the Floor” as the Assembly unfolded.
- Read copies of Resolutions/Memorials adopted by the Assembly, listed below.
- Thank persons newly elected to positions of synod leadership, listed below.
- Use the orientation material to introduce new people to what the synod is about as well as some basics useful in a synod assembly. Prepared by the Rev. Doug Jones, Synod Assembly Planning Committee Chairperson, and Richard Ahlberg, Parliamentarian, is available as an Orientation PowerPoint Presentation or Orientation pdf file.
RESOLUTIONS / MEMORIALS (pdf files)
- Care and Support for Persons Living with HIV and AIDS
- Expression of Thanks and Gratitude
- Lutheran Association of Christian Educators (LACE)
- Resolution in Support of the Uniting American Families Act (UAFA)
- Resolution on Iran
- Supporting In-State Tuition for Maryland Immigrant Youth under SB 167 (the DREAM Act)
- Support of the Maryland Civil Marriage Protection Act
- Visits to the Holy Land
NEWLY ELECTED TO POSITIONS OF SYNOD LEADERSHIP
- D.C. Conference Representative, Clergy – The Rev. Thomas Knoll
- Fairfax Conference Representative, Lay – Robert Schilpp
- Maryland Conference Representative – Margretta Williams
- Montgomery Conference Representative, Lay – Thomas Kern
- Potomac Conference Representative, Lay – Wendell Anderson
- Virginia Conference Representative, Clergy – The Rev. Mark Edwards
- At-large Representative, Lay – Karen Consiglio
- At-large Representative, Rostered Lay – Kathy Garrison, Diaconal Minister
- Synodical Women’s Organization Representative – Bonnie Priebe
- Youth Representative – Jack Hill
- Member, Clergy – The Rev. Beth Spitzner Neubauer
- Member, Clergy – The Rev. Mark Olsen
- Member, Lay – Suzanne Hazard
- Member, Lay – Paul Ramshaw
2013 Churchwide Assembly Voting Members
- Clergy, Female – The Rev. Stephanie Johnson
- Clergy, Male – The Rev. Mark Olsen
- Lay person, Female – Amy Acland
- Lay person, Male – Stephen Padre
- Person of Color or Person Whose Primary Language is not English – Ozan Sevimli
- Person under the age of 30 – Rebekka Prinz