A Middle East Working Group (MEWG) is active in our synod, providing resources and opportunities to congregations and individuals interested in learning more about struggles, issues and joys in this part of our world.
The “ELCA Strategy for Engagement in Israel and Palestine” was adopted in 2009 by the ELCA Churchwide Assembly, in part because of urging of the Metro D.C. Synod and other synods. This document’s affirmations of ELCA commitments (link to full document on elca.org) guide our local MEWG.
- Continue its awareness-building, accompaniment, and advocacy on behalf of a peaceful resolution of the conflict between Israel and Palestine;
- Evaluate and refine its peace-making efforts to demonstrate as fully as possible the “balanced…care for all parties” expressed in the Churchwide Strategy for Engagement in Israel and Palestine (2005; Sect. IIA), while continuing our unique relationship with and accompaniment of Palestinian Christians and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and the Holy Land (ELCJHL).
- Learn more about the experiences of both Israelis and Palestinians and their mutual fears, aspirations, and hopes;
- Work to convey the concerns and perspectives of Palestinians and Israelis that dispel stereotypes and caricatures and promote better understanding;
- Lift up the voices within both communities, especially those of victims of violence, that seek peace with justice through nonviolent responses to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict;
- Continue to help alleviate the humanitarian needs of all of those affected by the conflict, especially Gaza;
- Support U.S. funding that promotes peace and cooperation for all parties to the conflict; and
- Continue to pray for the ELCJHL and for the Israeli and Palestinian peoples.
Connect locally through http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elcadcmewg.