On Tuesday, March 8, the ELCA will be joining with people around the world to celebrate International Women’s Day (IWD). We celebrate this day knowing that the work toward gender equality still remains. Consider drawing from the following to help with your IWD observance.
- ELCA International Women Leaders initiative – A $100,000 matching challenge exists on International Women’s Day for boldly investing in the education and future of women; see www.elca.org/InternationalLeaders
- ELCA Global Missions bulletin insert & worship ideas – www.elca.org/Resources/ELCA-Global-Church-Sponsorship (select “General” tab)
- Women of the ELCA’s Pinterest page (not new, but creative ideas) – www.pinterest.com/womenoftheelca/international-womens-day/
- Lutheran World Relief Celebrates IWD – http://lwr.org/women
- Lutheran World Federation describes their Gender Justice Policy activity in 2015 and beyond – www.lutheranworld.org/content/international-womens-day-2015
IWD has been observed since in the early 1900’s – a time of great expansion and turbulence in the industrialized world that saw booming population growth and the rise of radical ideologies. International Women’s Day is a collective day of global celebration and a call for gender parity. More about the history of the observance is available at www.internationalwomensday.com/About.