Rostered Ministers Personal Sabbath Mini-Grants
In order to support the Metro D.C. Synod’s goal of equipping healthy leaders to faithfully follow the commandment of keeping sabbath, the New & Renewing Missions Table is offering mini-grants for up to $500* to be used for sabbath time away to all rostered ministers in the Metro D.C. Synod.
Rostered Ministers can apply below and are encouraged to take time off and away, ideally on a Sunday or other primary workdays.
*Initial grant allotment of $5,000 for 10 or more mini-grants, to be re-evaluated if necessary.
What costs are covered by the mini-grant?
The grant supports paying for:
- another leader to serve in your absence – list of local supply preachers can be viewed here.
- costs to go somewhere different than your usual home/church/location
- travel or retreat materials (art supplies, fancy snacks, what is Sabbath for you?)
How to Apply
This mini-grant, has a mini-application process. Keep it simple. Please submit the basic details and a short paragraph describing what your retreat plans will be. There is an example provided as well. Click the link below to apply.
"While I was gone, I was able to think a lot about how I’ve let my work/life boundaries and balance slip, especially during the pandemic. I was able to reprioritize and recommit to those boundaries for myself, my family, my congregation, and for God.”
– Pastor Ben Hogue of Reformation in DC reflecting on a weekend away with his fiance and dog.
“These days away taught me again that God is good, that life is beautiful, and that it is not only important and advised, but it is vital and commanded that I take time to dive more deeply not into my never-ending to-do list, but to honoring the space God has placed in and around all of those commitments.”
– Pastor Connie Thomson of River of Grace in Manassas, VA
Consider Spending Time at One of These Retreat Centers
"These days away taught me again that God is good, that life is beautiful, and that it is not only important and advised, but it is vital and commanded that I take time to honor the space God has placed in and around all of my commitments."
– Pastor Connie Thomson reflecting on her weekend away without her kids in the mountains of West Virginia.