2016 METRO D.C. SYNOD ASSEMBLY
Saturday, June 18, 2016
Good Shepherd Lutheran Church in Gaithersburg, Md.
“For the Healing of the Nations”
- LOGO: Our Synod Assembly logo is adapted from tree art produced by Josue Torres, designstogo.net; by courtesy of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
- BLOG ARCHIVE: Review these in-the-moment “From the Floor” posts describing action during our 2016 event from guest blogger Margretta Williams.
- ELCA CHURCHWIDE REPRESENTATIVE: The Rev. Cherlyne V. Beck, Program Director, Support of Rostered Leaders and Schools, ELCA Domestic Missions Unit
- EVENT CHAPLAIN: The Rev. Leila Ortiz, Associate Pastor, Good Shepherd Lutheran Church
- OPENING WORSHIP: Prayers, readings and other liturgical elements developed by our Worship Team and Racial Equity Team for the Opening Worship service are shared in a “From the Floor” blog post for personal and congregational use.
- VIDEOS: We saw two videos presented by the Racial Equity Team and one presented by the ELCA Churchwide Representative. They remain available on the synod’s YouTube channel, and you can view on this blog post.
- NEW CONNECTIONS: Bishop Graham announced a forthcoming movement in the synod called “New Connections.” View the flyer distributed on site here.
Resolutions and Memorials adopted by a Synod Assembly are ways our synod directs its activity. Eight were adopted by the 2016 Synod Assembly (pdf files).
- African Descent Lutheran Lives Matter
- Current American Political Discourse
- Expression of Thanks and Gratitude
- Gratitude and Support for Military Service Members and Veterans
- Greetings to Other ELCA Synods Meeting in Assembly
- Repudiation of the Doctrine of Discovery
- Special Expression of Thanks and Gratitude: The Rev. Amy Thompson Sevimli
- United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
NEWLY ELECTED to synod leadership
- Synod Council D.C. Conference Representative (Clergy) – The Rev. James Phillips
- Synod Council Fairfax Conference Representative (Lay) – Nels J. Hendrickson
- Synod Council Montgomery Conference Representative (Lay) – Dr. Cleophas Tsokodayi
- Synod Council Potomac Conference Representative (Lay) – Cassandra Smith
- Synod Council Virginia Conference Representative (Clergy) – The Rev. Sandra J. Kessinger
- Synod Council At-Large Representative (Lay or Clergy) – Jackson F. Droney
- Synod Council At-large Representative (Lay Roster) – Rebecca H. Kolowé, Diaconal Minister
- Synod Council Synodical Women’s Organization Representative – Cheryl L. Dwyer
- Synod Council Youth Representative – Samuel S.
- Consultation Committee Member (Clergy) – The Rev. Renata Eustis
- Consultation Committee Member (Clergy) – The Rev. Janice E. Mynchenberg
- Consultation Committee Member (Lay) – Karen Consiglio
- Synod Council Maryland Conference Representative (Lay) – REMAINS OPEN; referred to Synod Council
- Consultation Committee Member (Lay) -REMAINS OPEN; referred to Synod Council
PRE-ASSEMBLY MATERIALS posted in advance to inform our gathering remain online for review.