Countdown to “God’s work. Our hands.” Sunday
Designated for Sunday, September 8, 2013, this day of service is being observed by congregations and other partners across the ELCA marking our 25th anniversary – a year under the banner “Always being made new.” Service and an anniversary? Yup. The ELCA is deeply rooted in faith and in sharing its passion for making positive changes in the world.
If your congregation is considering joining this opportunity to come together as a church to serve and love our neighbors, find a toolkit online of ideas and tips (in English and Spanish), including worship resources publicity tools. T-shirts, mugs and other anniversary promotional items are also available.
- Register your plan using this ELCA form
- and let the synod office know what’s coming.
Here are some wonderful plans already underway…
- Living Faith Lutheran Church in Rockville will post yellow-shirted members at a banner-marked entrance to retrieve brown paper bags from members and local friends who collected food for the Manna Food Center. Indonesian, Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, Mennonite and Roman Catholic congregations will also participate, as well as a neighboring Montessori School, in an exciting hand-joining partnership.
- Lutheran Social Services of the National Capital Area (LSS/NCA) is organizing a “Back to School” donation drive. Three locations will receive donations from a specific Wish List for children in LSS/NCA Foster Care, Refugee & Immigrant Services, and Youth Haven Camps & Retreats. Find the Wish List and details on the synod’s “Extras” page.
- Peace Lutheran Church in Alexandria will be packing food for children at a nearby elementary school, with a picnic and games to make the task go lightly.
The more the merrier, so plan an event or contact one of these local participants to get involved.