Leadership for our commitment to the work of confronting racism and moving toward equity and justice in the world is offered by our synod’s Racial Equity Team. The following resources are highlighted by our team for your personal and congregational reflection and use.
- “Words matter” (page link) – In conjunction with observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day 2017, a member of the synod’s Racial Equity Team, the Rev. James Phillips, wrote this reflection.
- Resources on Racial Equity (pdf file) – List of books, movies and more compiled for the 2016 Metro D.C. Synod Assembly
- Worship components used during the 2016 Metro D.C. Synod Assembly
- “Racial Equity Team: Off the Ground” (6/16) – Video of a two-part presentation by members of the synod’s Racial Equity Team during the 2016 Metro D.C. Synod Assembly discussing both “Hope Renewed” (with the Rev. James Phillips) and “Racial Equity Matters to Gospel Ministry” (with the Rev. Karen Brau).
- “JUST gRACE” (6/16) – Video prepared by All Saints Lutheran Church in Bowie, Md. describing what the Rev. Gary Rhinesmith calls their “intentional and spirit-led journey” and shown during 2016 Metro D.C. Synod Assembly
- “The Encounter” with Pastor Barber and Pastor Watney (6/16) – Video prepared by the Rev. Mitch Watney of Good Samaritan Lutheran Church in Lexington Park, Md. about how shared space grew to shared understanding with Dominion Apostolic International Church and shown during 2016 Metro D.C. Synod Assembly
This commitment exists with the churchwide expression of the ELCA as well. Consider these materials.
- The ELCA presiding bishop has participated in video messages and webcasts, interacting with leaders and ELCA members on racial equity growth in our lives.
- “Call to Be Present” (7/7/16)- ELCA Presiding Bishop Elizabeth Eaton responds to shootings in Baton Rouge, La. and St. Paul, Minn. She urges members to show up and be present in communities that are suffering and in pain
- “A Place for All” (5/25/16) – An archived webcast on growing diverse communities of faith
- “Confronting Racism: A Holy Yearning” (1/14/16) – archived webcast
- “Confronting Racism” (8/6/15) – An archived webcast with ELCA Presiding Bishop Elizabeth Eaton and William B. Horne II, an ELCA member from Clearwater, Fla., on the complexity and implications of racism
- ELCA.org Racial Justice Resource Page – find study guides, statements and much more
Want more information? Contact the Rev. Karen Brau of our Racial Equity Team at seniorpastorlutherplace.org.
Let us come to you with open eyes and feet firmly planted on the ground.
Let us listen to the many languages of sight, sound, taste, and touch which reveal the God we have failed to heed.
Righteous God of justice and truth, in your mercy, show us our complicity in acts of oppression, convict us of our indifference, forgive us when we remain silent, equip us with a zeal for righteousness, and never let us grow accustomed or acclimated to injustice.
That living forgiven lives, we may boldly proclaim your gospel of unconditional love and welcome with our words and with our deeds.
In Jesus’ name. Amen.
Prayer shared during our 2016 synod assembly gathering